Olympic shooter Keith Ferguson shoots for the sky with USANA



Keith Ferguson may have been a late starter to the sport of shooting, starting when he was 26 years old; however the Victorian quickly became one of Australia’s leading clay target (skeet) shooters winning a number of state, national and Oceania medals.

At 32 years of age Keith made his Olympic debut at the 2012 London Games, where he finished in 20th position in the men’s skeet event.
               
Now Keith, who is ranked #1* in Australia, has his eyes set on the 2016 Rio Olympics as well as the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.

Keith, who has been taking USANA products for the past 6 months, said it is an “honour to be part of the USANA athlete team… and I love the products”.

“As a competitive clay target shooter it is important that I'm always at my peak,” he said. “I need my mind sharp and my body in good condition and with the USANA team behind me I feel like I can perform at my best every time anytime.”

Currently Keith exercises with gym and cardio four to six times a week and trains four to five times a week depending on competitions, work and general life commitments. He also works five days a week with his day usually starting around 5.30am and finishing around 9.30pm.

It's safe to say Keith is a busy man but that doesn't stop him from chasing his goals and following his dreams. He works off a tight monthly schedule which includes meals and times to eat, work, gym, training, family and down time.

Keith said his USANA supplements, combined with a healthy diet and active lifestyle make him feel “more alive”.

“I have more energy, am more focused throughout the day and I feel more balanced and consistent.”

Keith said his health is crucial for his competitions, which run over two (sometimes three) full-days with three rounds on the first day and two rounds plus the final on the second day.

“If I don’t have the right nutrition then my energy levels can rise and fall and be inconsistent with the times I need to focus the most and during the times that I need to be calm and collected; so consistent, extended focus and energy is vital for good performance.

“I want to be the best I can be. When I finish I don’t want to have any regrets so every time I go to compete I go to give it my best,” he said.

“I know that I can only do this for a short time. So I need to make the most of my chances now. I want to be remembered in my sport for many years to come.”

From Keith’s experience, his advice to upcoming athletes and people who are interested in sport and their health is to “just be yourself; don’t try to be someone else”.

We wish Keith luck in the upcoming Olympic trials, and welcome him to Team USANA.

*rank as of June 2016

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,